Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Does your dog scoot across the carpet?

If you see your dog scooting across the floor, you could have anal gland problems (or they are just trying to wipe poo off of their butts). The first time this happened, I didn't know what the problem was because none of my dogs had worms. One day Sasha is scooting, the next day she has an open sore near her butt. I was totally freaking out and thought something was terribly wrong. As it turns out, her anal glands ruptured and we needed immediate treatment from a vet. Everything turned out alright, but we discovered that we needed to get her glands expressed on a regular basis. If you don't know what that is, rest assured that it is totally gross and foul smelling. Just take my word for it, you really want someone else to do it. Your vet or groomer will do this for any where between $10-$35.

I was fine with that, until my other two started having the same problems. $35x3=$105 every 4-6 weeks. I don't have that kind of money to throw down that often (on top of the heart worm pills and flea treatments every month) and don't really know anyone who does. I spoke with my local groomer (I usually groom all three dogs myself, but once in a while it's nice to have someone else do it) and she said to add fiber to their diet. I was confused, because I feed them a very high quality of food that should have adequate fiber. I explained this to her and she agreed that it was one of the top brands and told me to add a spoon of Pumpkin (not the pie filling) to every meal. I told her I would try it and as it turns out, I haven't had to get their glands expressed since (it's been over a year). I faithfully add a small spoon of pumpkin to their meals and just add a little more if I notice any scooting.

I will also add that the groomer did a wonderful job and Cercei smelled great for a long time. The local store is called Gators and the staff is super friendly and helpful. They get a gold star in my book. If you live near SE Michigan and would like to check it out, here's their info:
Gators Pet Supplies. 293 W Monroe St Dundee MI, 48131.
Ph: 734-529-9000
.

Don't forget to check with your vet first.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting -- I never knew WHY doggies dragged their bottoms along the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee, great tips! And nice blog, too!

    Baxter will enjoy reading even more about your gang! :o)

    ReplyDelete